Alexa Rank case study

First results of my SEO experiment

Today it is 9 days since I began this SEO experiment and Alexa Rank case study. I have outlined exactly what I have done in the other posts tagged SEO, I now have traffic and my Alexa Rank has dropped significantly. All I have done is follow the simple instructions I found online through Quicksprout and a few other websites and in just over a week I have halved my Alexa number and increased traffic. Neil Patel really has some very helpful advice and I highly recommend signing up for his newsletter.

Alex Rank case study

The results so far go something like this.

January 20th 3:22pm

  • The site has nothing on it and is a clean slate.
  • I install the Alexa toolbar and check the current ranking, it’s 27,042,111.
  • I post three pictures, write some text, and add some external links.

January 21st 9:08am

  • Alexa rank jumps to 20,837,270
  • Encouraged by such a leap I post a picture (being a bit lazy), and then do some more research.
  • I install some plugins, write a blog post following as many of the guidelines from Google and Quicksprout that I can.
  • Post some video content

January 29th 3:04pm

  • I check my traffic and now I’m not the only person looking at this website. I have managed to get rid of a lot of the bad traffic I was getting, and now have a very small amount of traffic coming in, nothing to get too excited about.
  • Alexa rank is now more than halved in 9 days and currently sitting at 13,264,547

This is all very encouraging and has been extremely straight forward to do. While a ranking in the millions is nothing to write about I’m still pretty astounded at how little it took to creep my way down and build a small audience.

If you find any of this helpful please let me know in the comments below.

Russian Spy ring bust in Bronx NY

Russian spy ring bust in New York

With the news today of the Russian Spy ring bust in New York I thought I would share the story of another Russian Spy bust, one that also took place in New York back in 1987. I was lucky enough to make a trip to Washington D.C last year as a guest of Milton Stanson. He went to meet with the FBI’s historian Dr John Fox to conduct an interview in their media studio.

A Wall Street banker

Mr Stanson was a wall street banker in 1984 when he was approached by the KGB for recruitment. While he did say yes and agreed to work with them, he also got straight on the phone to the New York bureau of the FBI to tell them what had just happened. So began his journey as a controlled asset and counterintelligence agent.

Details of the bust

While I can’t go into the details of what he did during the four years he worked with his handlers, I can say that he no doubt was very successful in his mission. So successful in fact that the FBI awarded him with trophy made to look just like an Oscar, inscribed with the words “Best Clandestine Performance of 1987″. The arrest of a top level KGB agent that led to this award occurred in his private residence just off University Place. He met privately with his Russian contact in his bugged apartment, (with a camera hidden in his piano) while agents waited in the stairwell. Once secret documents and money had changed hands they charged the room and took into custody a Russian Diplomat.

Installing the Yoast SEO Plugin


A little more research and I’ve found that a lot of people use a plugin by Yoast.

In my first attempt at writing an SEO friendly post it seems that I could have done better. I have installed the WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin and it’s rather helpful. Here is a link to the website of  Joost de Valk – founder & CEO of Yoast.

I have posted a screenshot of the results above. What I can take away from this result is that I’m off to an ok start, but I need to think more about my keywords when writing a post. This first one was really an experiment just to see how to structure things and learn the do’s and dont’s. One interesting score I see is the Flesch Reading Ease score. It looks like I need to work on my writing skills. The other surprising result was that the keyword density was low. That really puzzles me, I thought 13 times was actually too much so I learnt something there. The meta description I will have to fix, and it seems my page title needs some work. I will do that now and see if I can get a few more green dots.

The most important thing to keep in mind though are the Google Quality guidelines.

Quality guidelines – basic principles

  • Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.
  • Don’t deceive your users.
  • Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you’d feel comfortable explaining what you’ve done to a website that competes with you, or to a Google employee. Another useful test is to ask, “Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn’t exist?”
  • Think about what makes your website unique, valuable, or engaging. Make your website stand out from others in your field.

What I need to do next is focus on a topic for the entire site, research the appropriate keywords, and start drafting a few more posts that don’t sound spammy. This is not as easy as I thought, but like anything with practise I’m sure I will get better. The main thing I want to keep in mind is to make the posts primarily for you, while at the same time being able to share some helpful data. I’m sure the site will evolve into something unique, valuable and engaging… eventually.

SEO Stats

Date : January 26th

Alexa rank : 20,712,157 (up by 70,366)

Google Analytics : Total visits still mostly all me but there is a lot less spam now.

Just out of interest below is the Yoast Page Analysis for the actual post you just read.